Portable Rock Art and Figure Stones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Lee 337

Are these tooling marks? Empty Are these tooling marks?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:52 am
I am trying to identify legitimate marks created by tools, other than the obvious chipping and flaking that is done on points. Can you give me some feedback on these pics. I dig that macro lens! https://photos.app.goo.gl/B9Rp9ksDcxCto15v8
Brett
Brett
Admin
https://eoliths.blogspot.com/

Are these tooling marks? Empty Re: Are these tooling marks?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:23 pm
A few too many at a time, some definatly are in some of your pics. Example pic 3 has 3 platforms that are all parallel (without arrows) that is agency.
Lee 337

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:14 am
Thanks Brett, I will try to keep the pics fewer on my posts. I thank you for your time, as I know it's valuable. I also realize that this is not a school, but I am really interested and fascinated by the skills, knowledge and experience it must have taken for these people/artists, to create these amazing works of art. I think that I see what you are talking about here but not positive. If you could take a little time to help me and probably anyone else interested, to understand what is obvious in what we are looking at/for. We can use the pic 3 that you mentioned for example. I will post any pics I have associated with this one if needed. It is the (Winnie the Pooh looking) bear head, and that pic is the eye (that we are discussing on another post) that looks to be chiseled into and exposing the vein of darker matrix. Although a bear head on each side, I can post pics of the whole rock, with close ups of the side we are discussing.

This rock is, I believe caramel/Monterey Chert, I am not sure. It is also a perfect example of the skills, knowledge, experience, tools, use of the rock's features, and any other deciding factors, that this person used when creating this piece. Nature is awesome, however I believe that the modern archaeological society, in it's use of Nature or natural, is giving so much credit to the word "Coincidence" that it just might lose it's meaning.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum