Portable Rock Art and Figure Stones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Judy E
Judy E

Animal profiles  Empty Animal profiles

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:42 am
2 of the pictures are flip sides of one rock. And 2 great animal profiles [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tigs38, amytaylorlangston@gmail.c and fplatz like this post

Brett
Brett
Admin
https://eoliths.blogspot.com/

Animal profiles  Empty Re: Animal profiles

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:11 am
Also triggers a subtle mammoth, looks like the bottom edge (mammoths legs) could be used a s a blade.
Brett
Brett
Admin

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:16 pm
Is this flint/chert Judy?
Judy E
Judy E

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm
Brett I believe it is flint. But as i have learned these terms seem interchangeable and am unsure of the differences to name one or the other! In some of my reading it says certain academic groups refer to a rock in relationships to their studies: archaeology calles it flint and geology calls it chert and a jeweler calls it something else i cant recall at this moment! So for me it is flint! Now i have a question! I have found artifacts that resemble actual bark on the oak trees as an outer crust i guess is best way to describe it! But the worked edges look like flint! Is this possible. I mean to have petrified oak bark cover flint or is it possible just worked petrified tree? And i dont know what i am looking at! Found another one recently if in i can locate it i will try and send u a picture! But as i have amassed such a large selection of rock i may never see it again! Just kidding just not sure how long it will take to find. Lol judy
Brett
Brett
Admin

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:23 pm
Yes, on a basic level they are the same, some types are labeled differently for unknown reasons, I notice that the pale brown Uk finds from the bronze age are labeled chert, also some dark brown finds also.....
Petrified wood does come in differing types also, the museum I was working at before lockdown had large sections of petrified trees that were solid grey, and did not look at all like the glassy petrified tree pieces that are often polished... similar to flint petrified wood is silica and yes i have seen sections where the bark pattern is preserved.
amytaylorlangston@gmail.c

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:53 am
What about glass? I understand. The time period has to apply of course but I was just looking around on the net at pics...articles etc and read somewhere about Native Americans used glass along with wood stone bone flint...
Wondering bc I found a piece ( on the beach which u really aren't to be picking them up without permission) . It's glass so I just wanted to look closely. Was told it's accidentally made that way by fire. Ur thoughts pls.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:20 am
I tried taking pics of some I have.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Brett and houndofrock like this post

Brett
Brett
Admin

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm
Well glass as in volcanic glass, was probably a preferred choice for tool making if available, again its silica, and acts like a fine flint would for tool making. Not a bad attempt at topology btw....

Fri May 07, 2021 8:01 pm
Hello everyone...Brett, I was wondering what u think of these next set of pics. I was told that thier not really rock art bc they r just broken pieces of arrowheads knifes etc. And the others I was just curious bc I can see profiles.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Judy E likes this post

Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm
Pics[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Judy E likes this post

Fri May 07, 2021 8:06 pm
Different view of last pic[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

houndofrock likes this post

Brett
Brett
Admin

Sun May 09, 2021 10:57 am
A lot of those pieces are worked, as for face profiles I do see a popular glyph in the first batch, but without eye and ear shape details its very difficult to be certain of that, (random shapes can trigger face profile shapes) with my collection and easy to accept figure stones are multiple animal descriptions, most usually head profiles, animal halfs, and whole profiles with details, ears, nose toe nails and whatever..., so that would be how they are defined... Much of what is described as portable rock art are figure stones.

Mon May 10, 2021 1:47 am
Thanks for the info. I have so many...i been telling myself that I'm gonna go through them and disregard some of the rocks and flint that are not worked and/or don't clearly fit n as an effigy .

MrRelic likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum