Portable Rock Art and Figure Stones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Brett
Brett
Admin
https://eoliths.blogspot.com/

Portable rock art topology Empty Portable rock art topology

Sun May 21, 2023 7:25 pm
Regular readers of my blog like Alan Day for example have often experienced the term 'Topology' used by myself in reference to describing portable rock art and figure stones. I thought I should clarify how I use the term on a scientific level so you can understand its relevance and how crucial it is in identifying genuine finds. Although extremally simple really, there are one or two of you who are completely clueless in your scientific comprehension, honesty, integrity, usefulness and basic cognitive function, so here goes:  

Topology, in the context of identifying same-like shapes in flint tool finds and figurative lithics, refers to the study of the overall form and structure of the objects. It involves examining the arrangement and relationships of different elements, such as edges, curves, and contours, to identify patterns and similarities. By analysing the topology of these artifacts, researchers can determine if there are consistent design features or recurring shapes that suggest intentional human craftsmanship.

Similarly, when discussing species topology in lithic interpretation, it pertains to the representation of different animals or creatures in the stone artifacts. It involves identifying specific features or characteristics that are associated with particular species and examining how they are depicted in the lithics. By analysing the species topology, researchers can infer the intended representation of the animals and gain insights into the cultural and symbolic significance of these depictions.

The concept of topology also extends to the conventions used in the world-wide phenomenon of figure stones and portable rock art. These conventions often involve the depiction of face profiles of apes and front half side profiles of a common set of animal descriptions. The topology of these conventions refers to the recurring patterns and arrangements of features that are characteristic of these representations. Additionally, the use of ambiguous illusions, where different profiles are combined to create visual ambiguities, adds another layer of complexity to the topology of these artworks.

In summary, topology plays a crucial role in the analysis of flint tool finds, figurative lithics, and the conventions used in figure stones and portable rock art. It involves studying the form, structure, and patterns within these artifacts to identify similarities, interpret representations of species, and understand the conventions employed in creating these intriguing stone artworks.

The examples below have a close shape and size match, but one also demonstrates a topology in figurative detail, the squared off muzzle common in bear figuration. Squint your eyes or view on a mobile phone to see the detail of a dark pigment line across the muzzle area of the right facing bear.

Portable rock art topology Img_3510

The two finds were placed one atop another to show how closely the shapes and size matches:

Portable rock art topology Img_3511

Side by side as though reflected fine eye shape detail can be seen on the left one, possibly a horse head depiction.

Portable rock art topology Img_3513

Last edited by Brett on Mon May 22, 2023 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Brett
Brett
Admin
https://eoliths.blogspot.com/

Portable rock art topology Empty Re: Portable rock art topology

Sun May 21, 2023 7:37 pm
We can also see the squared off muzzle here on the reverse, depicted by way of lack of pigment in this case. By comparing many genuine finds I've noticed these distinct topological features that I refer to as 'triggers' as once you know these important features they can trigger your mind into recognition of the species of any particular figurative description.
Portable rock art topology Img_3612
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum