Portable Rock Art and Figure Stones
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone identify this effigy?

+6
amytaylorlangston@gmail.c
Rfire1212
Arch Angel
Brett
Greglafla
Rocky
10 posters
Go down
Rocky
Rocky

Can anyone identify this effigy? Empty Can anyone identify this effigy?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:03 pm
I am at a loss to figure out what animal this carving represents. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Can anyone identify this effigy? Riley110
Greglafla

Can anyone identify this effigy? Empty Re: Can anyone identify this effigy?

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:02 pm
Snail? That’s a tough one.

MrRelic likes this post

Brett
Brett
Admin
https://eoliths.blogspot.com/

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 pm
A thumb, phalus, foot, elephant head combo?
Arch Angel

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:58 pm
I see a head of possibly a human or snake with the mouth wide open (which I find a lot). However, it’s upside down. I usually look for an eye and go from there. This is my opinion and some may disagree.

EricJ likes this post

Brett
Brett
Admin

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:16 pm
Welcome to the forum Arch Angel, your opinions are welcome. This is at times a very subjective field, but as I am sure you know the same old motifs crop up time and time again mostly, world wide and locally. I look forward to seeing some of your finds.
Rfire1212

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:32 pm
Looks like a snail to me to.it is a hard one
Rfire1212

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:52 pm
This is one of my Latest finds I can see the facial profile and a snake head but I can't make out much more it also has some lines on the other side that are interesting.any input would be awesome Can anyone identify this effigy? Img_2017

Tigs38, amytaylorlangston@gmail.c and houndofrock like this post

Brett
Brett
Admin

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:11 pm
It kind of looks like a grazing horse, but the head is turned facing right, quite possibly the half creature convention anyway, just unidentified.
Rfire1212

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm
Wow I see the horse now.this is the other side of it has some interesting lines on it not sure what to make of it
Can anyone identify this effigy? Img_2019
Rfire1212

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:22 pm
Wow I see the horse now.this is the other side of it has some interesting lines on it not sure what to make of it
Can anyone identify this effigy? Img_2019

amytaylorlangston@gmail.c likes this post

Brett
Brett
Admin

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm
i am not sure myself what has caused those layers, it could be something fossilized, or sedimentation, best to ask a geologist about that.

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:01 pm
I'm trying to figure out how to move around in this forum...cant figure out how to send pics

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:03 pm
I uploaded them then it took me to a server...then asked for url or host it but can't figure how to copy the url???
Rocky
Rocky

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:58 am
After re examining the one I first posted at the top of this page, it appears to be an "elephant" probably a mammoth. I can't believe how obvious it was. Just had to orient it the correct way.
I have found many others with similar motifs in the last year. https://www.rockartmuseum.com/mastodons-and-mammoths
Can anyone identify this effigy? Riley112

Kancerous1 and houndofrock like this post

Tigs38
Tigs38

Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:33 am
Can anyone identify this effigy? 84697610

Brett, Kancerous1, amytaylorlangston@gmail.c and houndofrock like this post

Rocky
Rocky

Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:38 pm
Possibly an animal head on the left and an "elephant" mammoth or mastodon head on the right
Can anyone identify this effigy? Untitl43

Tigs38 and Judy E like this post

Tigs38
Tigs38

Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:53 pm
It also reminds me of a lion's head with elephant or mammoth trunk.🦁elephant

houndofrock likes this post

rockstar1

Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:21 am
Rocky is right. It is a mammoth, but it is a full body example, where the body is the brown portion and the trunk is white.  If you look closely you will see two smaller carvings of mammoths within the white region of the trunk's end.   These smaller white figures represent the spirits about ready to exit the animal upon death. This is/was a spiritual ceremony piece where the main body of this rock that has all the grooves, figures, and pimples represents all the past ceremony.  As you can see there are many past ceremonies represented here. I have a piece that I bought from a lady from Suffolk, England that depicts this event even better .  Rocky was so kind to post it in my exhibit (gallery 86) in the portable rock art museum.  It is shown in image 8 (last image in portable rock art museum) at the bottom in the middle.  You can see the doomed head of a mammoth with the truck curving downward from left to right and opening up issuing out the spirits (yellow amorphous shaped forms-spirits) into the spirit world.  Right under the truck you have the circular pool of red blood showing where the spirits reside (in the blood).  There is the white spirit shaped like a miniature mammoth in the middle of the circular red area (albeit hard to see in this image) with two yellow tinted mammoth heads to the left representing spirits as well. This is a gorgeous Neanderthal carving 30,000 to 260,000 BC.  In addition if you look at 2:00 o'clock (mammoth figurine) you will see a small white spirit on the tip of this trunk as well. It is about to exit into the spirit world. This is a fine example of a full body mammoth  (carved from a piece of red Arizona petrified wood circa 10-15,000 years ago here in the states).   Also I have interpreted one of Magic Garden's pieces from here image posting early last year.  Thanks all !!!  Brad

Kancerous1, amytaylorlangston@gmail.c and houndofrock like this post

Tigs38
Tigs38

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:54 am
Excellent thanks for writing all that information I truly appreciate your time. I am very excited about this as I myself have strong spiritual beliefs.thanks again.
rockstar1

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:22 am
You are very blessed to be in a country that is loaded with beautiful artifacts. As I understand your history, Great Britain was completely covered with ice many times during the ice ages and man was absent altogether except for relatively recent geological times. There were many long period of time where both man and beast were absent. So all your artifacts that you collect are by in large Neanderthal and extremely old. Most people today fail to realize how good they have it as Neanderthal and early man were both driven by the fear of not knowing where their next meal was going to come from as hunter-gatherers. I think these ceremonies brought great comfort to them in facing the unknown as most religions do for us today. I can not imagine having your psyche and emotional well being under that sort of constant pressure of uncertainty. The shocker for me was that Neanderthal and man in Eurasia, Africa and N. and S. America had the same "survival spirituality" . Everything I have said about your two artifacts that you have images of here has the same style of spirituality that I find everywhere in the world within the ice age period. It was only through the advent of agriculture (growing crops) and the domestication of animals for food, that led to a more sedentary lifestyle in which the need for this artwork that came directly out of the hunter-gatherer period perished. The hallmark things to look for are the smoothed out areas that more often than not configure perfectly to a thumb or to a lesser extent a finger. There will always be a marking system for each and ever ceremony. The style of marks will change as these artworks are passed on from one generation to the next. I have many artifact that show this very change as you do. A distinct color usually brown or red to show the blood that harbors the spirit and of course a spirit or spirits (miniaturization of the animal) etched within the depicted game animal that was harvested for food on the stone. Good luck collecting!!!!!

Tigs38 likes this post

Kancerous1
Kancerous1

Can anyone identify this effigy? Empty I see a type of primate the long end appears to be it sitting up, other end looks to be laying down or engaging.

Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:50 am
Rocky wrote:After re examining the one I first posted at the top of this page, it appears to be an "elephant" probably a mammoth. I can't believe how obvious it was. Just had to orient it the correct way.
I have found many others with similar motifs in the last year. https://www.rockartmuseum.com/mastodons-and-mammoths
Can anyone identify this effigy? Riley112

Can anyone identify this effigy? Empty Interpretation and meaning

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:05 pm
After reading ur reply post Brad I have been totally amazed by ur knowledge and ability to interpret the meaning of the effigy. I just knew there was more to it than just visual art. This is the first time I've heard any piece being explained in such detail. 
 Now I'm really wondering about some of my pieces...one in particular that is a bit larger than my fist in which I've counted 30 - 40. Animal representations on it. I would be greatful if u would take a look and let me no if there's information to share about.
rockstar1

Can anyone identify this effigy? Empty reply to Amy

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:52 am
Hi Amy:  I have a unique gift at observing things within  the natural world and figuring out how they all fit together and how they all interact with one another by using hard scientific principles as my guide post.  It requires a great deal of thought and a great scientific background which I have in order to make these assessments.  I have to observe numerous data sets before I can draw any conclusions.  Nothing in nature happens by chance, there are always ( behavioral motivations in the case of making these artifacts) biological, chemical and most importantly physical forces at work that mold, direct and influence everything on this planet. I have solved a lot more difficult problems than this, but this is most gratifying because all my work is cutting edge in the understanding of early man.  TO GET WHERE I AM TODAY REQUIRED HARD WORK.......IT DIDN'T JUST FALL INTO MY LAP OVERNIGHT.  It sounds easy now when you read my texts but it wasn't easy to get to my level of excellence.  I'll be more than happy to look at your unique artifact.  I'll do what I can given the restraints of using only an internet image to work with. A good image will work wonders.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:24 pm
Thank u for taking the time to help me with understanding these wonderful pieces of art/history. I will send the best possible pics within the limits of my cell.
Here goes.Can anyone identify this effigy? 20210712
Can anyone identify this effigy? 20210713
Can anyone identify this effigy? 20210714

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:27 pm
Can anyone identify this effigy? 20210715
Can anyone identify this effigy? 20210716
Can anyone identify this effigy? 20210717

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum